Where do you go to my lovely?

I am back with the long promised before-after pictures of my home. The first up in the series is the bedroom simply coz it's the only room that is fully done up. I never imagined it'd take me so much time to get the place looking the way I want it to. But I guess patience is a virtue, right?

So without further ado, here it is...


My favourite part of this room is that it has three large windows that give us lots of natural light. The trees outside not only add a beautiful element of green but also keep peeping Toms at bay. It's also perfect these days to watch the monsoon rain splash around.

I painted one of the walls in the room ochre and the rest is off-white, so the windows have been dressed up in a yellow Benarasi fabric with off-white motifs on it. The effect is absolutely brilliant. This palette also acts as a base for me to bring into the room, other earthy shades that I love, without sticking to a rigid colour theme.

The bed and the bedside tables have been designed by me. 
The headboard has different kinds of wood inlaid in teak to create a simple striped pattern that's natural looking. The bedsides are both different...my side has an open shelf because at any given point I am reading at least three different books and I like to keep them close at hand, without cluttering the table top

The table on my husband's side has a louvered door that has been polished in different natural shades to match the headboard of the bed. Besides, to keep my own sanity, I didn't want to give him any shelves that were open and clearly visible for all to see


The image below shows the entry way into the room, before we moved in. The blank wall adjacent to it is the one where I have created a little dressing space and a gallery of family picture frames
There wasn't too much space in the room once the bed and bedsides were placed so I had to create a wall mounted unit using a large mirror, few shelves and a narrow table, quite similar to what I had in my previous house. I do miss not having a proper dresser to stack all my trinkets, jewellery, make-up etc. 
Now I just have to be very neat and keep everything stashed away in my wardrobe. 
The glass cups hanging from the side of the mirror, hold a couple of my everyday items like clips, bands, rings and earrings. Its one of my favourite DIYs using just a jute rope to string together a bunch of glass cups/ jars...

One of my prized purchases is an antique styled wooden chest with iron clamps and hinges. It sits by the bedside, against the ochre wall and is used to stow away quilts and covers





Last but not the least, is my family wall of fame. I have shared it in one of my posts before. It's a bunch of different coloured photo frames that I have collected from different places, and I just love how all of them come together.



So that's a wrap for now. I do hope it has been worth the wait and that you guys enjoyed this part of my home. I will be back with more soon, meanwhile I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Comments

  1. What do I think? Utter gorgeousness, that's what!! Love that ochre color, so warm and earthy! And you're the jute rope DIY genius!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome...specially curtains and chest are gorgeous and jute DIY is great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, Sahana! I especially liked your furniture peices- would love to see a closer view of the headboard. Really liked the ochre accent too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done! My thumbs-up specially for the wooden chest and the myriad of photo frames, and the jute DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sahana~ Is it an old apartment space that you have moved into? The white huge windows with ventilators so remind me of the MES houses that we grew up in :-)
    The idea of playing with minimal colours is appealing and the low chest is so rustic:-)

    Waiting for more.

    Arch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such warm and inviting room! I love the antique chest...that's quite an unusual size/length too!

    Ha ha...the husband's side of the bed and bedside table do need a different management skill altogether. What with the sitting 'on' the pillow , all sorts of gadgets lying 'within reach' on the table and other general decor nuisances...I have had to give special instructions to our household help on how to clean 'his side' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! So encouraging to hear words of praise from such a talented bunch of people as yourself!!
    Arch, you're right. I just got lucky finding this beautifully maintained old Bombay house. It does remind me of our old army days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! It was totally worth the wait! Your selection if perfect. Not too much...just right. Your house is totally an 'inviting home'. Wish you some wonderful and beautiful memories here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So soothing and lovely. You have such a good eye for what really works, without doing over the top nonsense things just to be "designer".

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blinds look awesome. Love the house with its old world feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely pretty and neat is the word for the arrangement sahana,good going.very warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I especially love the glass cups idea. So innovative and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest of your home.

    The banarasi fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful and cosy...its a perfect bedroom. The windows are so beautiful. I love what you have done with the entire room!..PErfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. uhhhhhhhhhhhh lala. I am just falling in love the way you are doing up your house. Lovely warm colour and that cute little wooden chest. Let me go and read your profile first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've created a lovely room. I love that it looks elegant yet a bit rustic too, with the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lovely and tranquil room..That ochure color makes up a beautiful ambience.waiting for some more now :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Benarsi blinds huh? I am mighty pleased to inform you that I am a Benarsi too. Yayyy! That place has some amamzing textiles indeed. i should know. As for the bedroom you have set up, please know that I am so inpired that today is the day I am going to makeover mine, I didnt do anything since I rented it a year ago. Just too depressed with the pathetic size. But anyway, yours looks gorg...drooling over it. And the hubster has refused to install any woodwork/shelves at all, gave me an evil laugh when I showed him your pics. Hmmpfh, Men!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you guys are liking this! Thank you!

    Harshika, my mom's from Benaras as well so it's a special place for me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Lord, at the risk of coming across like a drama queen, which I am, thank you very much, I am unbearably happy about your mother now. such things happen to me when I start stalking my fav bloggers and finding common stuff between us. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh those blinds are to die for! definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sahana, you have got a beauuuuuuutiful house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for that quick tour in your home. What I noticed the most are the uniform windows installed in your bedroom. It’s not too big, yet not too small. It’s just enough for you to see the beautiful view of outside, and at the same time, it gives you natural lighting at daytime.
    Joann Winton @ AJC Roofing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts